Historic meeting held in South Amenia

WASSAIC — On Jan. 11, a group of more than 20 people gathered in the South Amenia Parish Hall to begin a year of jubilee with the 250th annual meeting of the Union Society and the South Amenia Presbyterian Church.

The foundations of the society and the sponsored church were laid sometime in the mid-1750s, as the settlers of the Oblong Valley sought an organized religious experience. During that period they had been served to some degree by the Moravian missionaries to the nearby Mohican villages and by traveling ministers. 

One of these was the Rev. Ebenezer Knibloe, a Scottish Presbyterian who primarily served a church in West Phillippi in Fairfield County.  In late 1759, a group similar to Sunday’s gathered to sign a covenant to form a church, a “Society in the name, style and title of Union.� At the same time they installed Knibloe as pastor.

Before they emigrated, the colonists had seen examples of wealth corrupting the church and conflicts over church property.  To prevent such problems here, they incorporated in 1792 under New York state law “for the purpose of administering the temporalities [i.e., property] of the religious congregation of the Oblong Valley, in the town of Amenia, New York.�

Over the last 250 years, the Union Society has bought and sold land, built three successive church buildings, offered residences for pastors, established a cemetery and provided many community functions, all in support of a sponsored church.

From Knibloe’s time forward, the spiritual needs of the area were served by a number of pastors, mainly Presbyterian.  In 1815, the congregation formally affiliated with the Hudson (River) Presbytery, with which it remains.

Interestingly, even at that early time the church served many from the town of Dover, as it does today.

From a beginning centered in Amenia Union (Hitchcock’s Corner) in Connecticut, where the first church building may have been, the organizations have gradually moved south to a location near Clark Hill Road, where the cemetery is, and finally to South Amenia (Cline’s Corner). There the present church building was built in 1880.

The South Amenia Parish Hall is the functional center for the society.  The first section was built in 1904, and it has been expanded three times since then. The last, a major addition in 1960, added a two-story wing providing Sunday school and office space, as well as additional seating for suppers and other events. It is currently a Dutchess County Office for the Aging nutrition site and also holds a local food pantry for folks in need. Boy and Girl Scouts, substance-abuse support groups, artists and other community groups meet there. A community resource, it is available for private parties, wedding receptions and the like

Many special events are being planned to celebrate the hall’s 250th anniversary throughout the year.  Programs may include outside speakers, musical groups and historical reports. Particularly exciting will be the planned Friday, Aug. 14, through Sunday, Aug. 16, revival of the annual South Amenia fair, which was held from 1921 to 1942.

Robert Meade is the clerk of the Union Society of South Amenia Presbyterian Church.

Latest News

Living art takes center stage in the Berkshires

Contemporary chamber musicians, HUB, performing at The Clark.

D.H. Callahan

Northwestern Massachusetts may sometimes feel remote, but last weekend it felt like the center of the contemporary art world.

Within 15 miles of each other, MASS MoCA in North Adams and the Clark Art Institute in Williamstown showcased not only their renowned historic collections, but an impressive range of living artists pushing boundaries in technology, identity and sound.

Keep ReadingShow less
Persistently amplifying women’s voices

Francesca Donner, founder and editor of The Persistent. Subscribe at thepersistent.com.

Aly Morrissey

Francesca Donner pours a cup of tea in the cozy library of Troutbeck’s Manor House in Amenia, likely a habit she picked up during her formative years in the United Kingdom. Flanked by old books and a roaring fire, Donner feels at home in the quiet room, where she spends much of her time working as founder, editor and CEO of The Persistent, a journalism platform created to amplify women’s voices.

Although her parents are American and she spent her earliest years in New York City and Litchfield County — even attending Washington Montessori School as a preschooler — Donner moved to England at around five years old and completed most of her education there. Her accent still bears the imprint of what she describes as a traditional English schooling.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jarrett Porter on the enduring power of Schubert’s ‘Winterreise’
Baritone Jarrett Porter to perform Schubert’s “Winterreise”
Tim Gersten

On March 7, Berkshire Opera Festival will bring “Winterreise” to Studio E at Tanglewood’s Linde Center for Music and Learning, with baritone Jarrett Porter and BOF Artistic Director and pianist Brian Garman performing Franz Schubert’s haunting 24-song setting of poems by Wilhelm Müller.

A rejected lover. A frozen landscape. A mind unraveling in real time. Nearly 200 years after its premiere, “Winterreise” remains unnervingly current in its psychological portrait of isolation, heartbreak and existential drift.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

A grand finale for Crescendo’s 22nd season

Christine Gevert, artistic director, brings together international and local musicians for a season of rare works.

Stephen Potter

Crescendo, the Lakeville-based nonprofit specializing in early and rarely performed classical music, will close its 22nd season with a slate of spring concerts featuring international performers, local musicians and works by pioneering composers from the Baroque era to the 20th century.

Christine Gevert, the organization’s artistic director, has gathered international vocal and instrumental talent, blending it with local voices to provide Berkshire audiences with rare musical treats.

Keep ReadingShow less

Leopold Week honors land and legacy

Leopold Week honors land and legacy

Aldo Leopold in 1942, seated at his desk examining a gray partridge specimen.

Robert C. Oetking

In his 1949 seminal work, “A Sand County Almanac,” Aldo Leopold, regarded by many conservationists as the father of wildlife ecology and modern conservation, wrote, “There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” Leopold was a forester, philosopher, conservationist, educator, writer and outdoor enthusiast.

Originally published by Oxford University Press, “A Sand County Almanac” has sold 2 million copies and been translated into 15 languages. On Sunday, March 8, from 3 to 5 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Norfolk Library, the public is invited to a community reading of selections from the book followed by a moderated discussion with Steve Dunsky, director of “Green Fire,” an Emmy Award-winning documentary film exploring the origins of Leopold’s “land ethic.” Similar reading events take place each year across the country during “Leopold Week” in early March. Planning for this Litchfield County reading began when the Norfolk Library received a grant from the Aldo Leopold Foundation, which provided copies of “A Sand County Almanac” to distribute during the event.

Keep ReadingShow less

Erica Child Prud’homme

Erica Child Prud’homme

WEST CORNWALL — Erica Child Prud’homme died peacefully in her sleep on Jan. 9, 2026, at home in West Cornwall, Connecticut, at 93.

Erica was born on April 27, 1932, in Doylestown, Pennsylvania, the eldest of three children of Charles and Fredericka Child. With her siblings Rachel and Jonathan, Erica was raised in Lumberville, a town in the creative enclave of Bucks County where she began to sketch and paint as a child.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.