Principal taken hostage, released

PINE PLAINS — Christopher Craft, 43, of Stanfordville, surrendered himself to police the morning of Tuesday, Nov. 10, after barricading himself in the middle school office at Stissing Mountain Middle/High School, holding middle school Principal Robert Hess hostage at gunpoint for more than two hours, according to police reports.

At a press conference held at 2 p.m. that day, Dutchess County Sheriff Butch Anderson told reporters that no one was hurt during the incident.

The Associated Press reported that Craft will be charged with first degree kidnapping, criminal posession of a weapon and criminal trespassing.

Anderson said it was premature to speak to Craft’s motive or whether he had demanded anything during negotiations, but that as far as law enforcement knew he had no issues with the Pine Plains Central School District. Many reporters questioned Anderson about reports that Craft’s son had been in recent trouble with the school, and that Craft himself had a criminal history and a history of confrontation with staff at Stissing Mountain. Anderson would not comment on those claims.

According to an earlier press release by Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff T.J. Hanlon, Craft entered the school at approximately 7:45 a.m. through the main entrance.

“I was walking out of the main doors and he walked right past me,� recalled 18-year-old Tom Hazel, who was heading to Dutchess County BOCES that morning. Hazel said he did not see a firearm on Craft. “I just thought it was someone going in.�

Twelve-year-old Zack Pruner, a middle school student at Stissing Mountain, was in the adjacent guidance counselor’s office calling home when Craft entered the middle school office.

“He started yelling and getting all frustrated,� Zack said, “and asking for Mr. Hess. Then he got more violent.�

Pruner, who said that Craft didn’t know he was in the other room, hid for two hours in the guidance office before signaling to SWAT police officers using his hands and making a written sign explaining there was a man with a gun next door.

After written instruction from the SWAT team, Pruner climbed out of the window and was escorted to safety. When asked where he found the courage to act, he replied, “Most of that stuff comes from my dad and from Boy Scouts.�

While Craft barricaded himself in the middle school office, the entire Stissing Mountain building (as well as the neighboring Webutuck Central School District) went into lockdown mode. Last week on Nov. 5 the school held a practice lockdown drill. Pine Plains Board of Education President Helene McQuade said that drills are held routinely throughout the year.

“Lockdown procedure is drilled and drilled and drilled,� added board Vice President Bruce Kimball. Both Kimball and McQuade said they felt the school’s policies ran smoothly and properly.

Students remained in their classrooms long after Craft was taken away. They were then moved to the town’s highway garage while the school was swept and searched.

“The school’s emergency plans worked perfectly well,� Hanlon reported at the press conference.

Within an hour of Craft entering the building, the main intersection of Pine Plains at routes 199 and 82 was flooded with parents of students, local residents and the press. Over 100 law enforcement officers including the Pine Plains police, sheriff’s deputies, New York State Police and Poughkeepsie police were called to the scene. Helicopters from both law enforcement and media outlets circled the town overhead for most of the day.

Parents spent most of the day waiting on Route 199 near Stissing House restaurant for word on when they would see their children. Many reported that their children had texted them with initial information regarding the incident.

Dutchess County Legislator Gary Cooper has two sons in the high school, and one of them texted him with the news early that morning.

“It’s against school policy to have a cell phone,� Cooper acknowledged, “but you keep it in your pocket, turned off, and when you need it, you got it.�

Lisa Puisello has a sixth-grade son who had forgotten his cell phone that morning.

“He will definitely be taking his phone to school tomorrow,� she said.

Puisello was one of many who expressed disbelief about the incident.

“How could this happen in Pine Plains?� she asked. “How could this happen in our town?�

“We had drills last week,� said Hazel. “But you don’t think it will actually happen. It makes everyone want to be cautious. But yeah, I’ll go back to school tomorrow.�

Hazel added that the school should have a Student Resource Officer. There hasn’t been one in Pine Plains for several years.

“I think they’re going to need more security at the school,� said parent Kathy Milkowski, who has a daughter in the high school. “There were several bomb scares last year and that didn’t wake [them up]. I think there should be metal detectors.�

McQuade and Kimball said that the school’s security measures would be discussed by the entire board before any action was taken.

“The best news is that everybody’s safe,� McQuade said.

State Assemblyman Marc Molinaro was on the scene throughout  the day.

“Obviously this is a shocking and very scary incident for the community, and certainly for the students and staff at the middle school and high school,� he said. “But the law enforcement response at all levels was seamless and without flaw. They did a wonderful job and acted very quickly and professionally. Thankfully the incident ended without any violence.�

Governor David Paterson commended state and local police for resolving the issue “with professionalism and no injuries� in a statement released to the press on Tuesday.

Parents were gathered at the entrance to the school at 2 p.m., waiting to be let in to see their children for the first time that day. Relief was the one word that kept recurring in conversation about how the day’s events unfolded.

When asked the first thing she would say upon seeing her daughter, Milkowski was at a loss for words.

“I’m probably going to give her a hug.�

***image1***
***image2***
***image3***
***image4***
***image5***
***image6***
***image7***
***image8***
***image9***
***image10***
***image11***
***image12***
***image13***
***image14***
***image15***
***image16***
***image17***

Latest News

Salisbury ski jumpers put on show for students

Gus Tripler prepares to jump from the new 36-meter jump.

Margaret Banker

SALISBURY - With the Winter Olympics just weeks away, Olympic dreams felt a little closer to home for Salisbury Central School students on Feb. 4, when student ski jumpers from the Salisbury Winter Sports Association put on a live demonstration at the Satre Hill Ski Jumping Complex for more than 300 classmates and teachers.

With screams of delight, student-athletes soared through the air, showcasing years of training and focus for an audience of their peers. The atmosphere was electric as the jumpers soaked up the attention like local celebrities.

Keep ReadingShow less
Classifieds - February 5, 2026

Help Wanted

PART-TIME CARE-GIVER NEEDED: possibly LIVE-IN. Bright private STUDIO on 10 acres. Queen Bed, En-Suite Bathroom, Kitchenette & Garage. SHARON 407-620-7777.

The Scoville Memorial Library: is seeking an experienced Development Coordinator to provide high-level support for our fundraising initiatives on a contract basis. This contractor will play a critical role in donor stewardship, database management, and the execution of seasonal appeals and events. The role is ideal for someone who is deeply connected to the local community and skilled at building authentic relationships that lead to meaningful support. For a full description of the role and to submit a letter of interest and resume, contact Library Director Karin Goodell, kgoodell@scovillelibrary.org.

Keep ReadingShow less
Legal Notices - February 5, 2026

Legal Notice

The Planning & Zoning Commission of the Town of Salisbury will hold a Public Hearing on Special Permit Application #2026-0307 by Amber Construction and Design Inc for vertical expansion of a nonconforming structure at 120 Wells Hill Road, Lakeville, Map 36, Lot 09 per Section 503.2 of the Salisbury Zoning Regulations. The Owners of the property are Joseph Edward Costa and Elyse Catherine Nelson. The hearing will be held on Tuesday, February 17, 2026 at 5:45 PM. There is no physical location for this meeting. This meeting will be held virtually via Zoom where interested persons can listen to & speak on the matter. The application, agenda and meeting instructions will be listed at www.salisburyct.us/agendas/. The application materials will be listed at www.salisburyct.us/planning-zoning-meeting-documents/. Written comments may be submitted to the Land Use Office, Salisbury Town Hall, 27 Main Street, P.O. Box 548, Salisbury, CT or via email to landuse@salisburyct.us. Paper copies of the agenda, meeting instructions, and application materials may be reviewed Monday through Thursday between the hours of 8:00 AM and 3:30 PM at the Land Use Office, Salisbury Town Hall, 27 Main Street, Salisbury CT.

Keep ReadingShow less
Putting a stamp on Norfolk

Antonio Alcalá

Provided

As part of the Norfolk Economic Development Commission’s campaign to celebrate the Norfolk Post Office and the three women who run it — Postmaster Michelle Veronesi and mother-and-daughter postal clerks Kathy Bascetta and Jenna Brown — the EDC has invited USPS art director and stamp designer Antonio Alcalá for a visit.

Postage stamps designed by Antonio Alcalá.Provided

Keep ReadingShow less