Rock School Day, 2009

Two hundred thirty years ago, the venerable old schoolhouse commonly referred to as the Rock School hosted its first class of Colebrook primary students. In Colonial days, there would have been eight grades seated in the one-room school, whereas the visiting class of 2009 consisted of the entire third grade of Colebrook Consolidated School.

The seating arrangements have changed and the woodshed now sports painted walls, but essentially what the third grade experienced on June 16 was what every class that attended the school saw and felt. To our knowledge, this schoolhouse is the only Colonial-era school that has never been modernized; there is no electricity or running water. There are no modern bathroom facilities. It started out with a two-seat backhouse and it still has a two-seater “out back.�

There has been one change, however, that the students of long ago would notice right away, and that is the location. Instead of sitting directly in front of the huge boulder on the southeast corner of the intersection of Colebrook Road (Route 183) and Sandy Brook Road, the building now sits on the northeast corner of that intersection, about 100 feet from where it was built in 1779. This change came about in 1971, about the time the Colebrook Historical Society acquired the building. How this came about is a story that is worth retelling.

    u    u    u

The town of Colebrook closed the school in 1911, due to declining attendance and better transportation methods. The remaining students within the district were transported to the Colebrook Center School, and the old schoolhouse sat alone and unused until the 1920s, when it was sold to a Norfolk family.

Fortunately for historical integrity, those owners used the structure only as a summer residence and never had electricity or running water installed. They were comfortable with using the outhouse and hauling what water they needed from the spring a few feet down hill. Remember this spring, as it has a bearing on events that took place later in the 20th century.

In the early 1950s, the last surviving owner passed on, leaving no immediate family. In 1954, the land immediately adjacent to the school property to the east, along Sandy Brook Road, was sold to Samuel Holden, who happened to have been the Litchfield County detective.

Sam had a house built about 100 yards down Sandy Brook Road from the corner where the school sat. One determining factor in the location of this house was the spring, situated high enough up hill to allow for gravity feed water in any room in the house.

Now we will fast forward about 13 years to the late 1960s. The property had been in legal limbo for nearly 15 years, with lawyers attempting to attract a buyer for the schoolhouse in order that the estate could be settled once and for all. The problem was that the front yard had dramatically shrunk over the years, having been reduced every time the State of Connecticut widened Route 183.

It was impossible to move the building back, as it already was tight up against the huge glacial erratic early residents had referred to as “the great stone.�

That wasn’t all. The spring, which now belonged to Sam Holden, supplied all his household needs and would be contaminated if a septic system were ever built on the schoolhouse property. The long and short of it was that the property was impossible to sell.

    u    u    u

The lawyers approached Sam and asked him to purchase it, as he, being the adjacent downhill property owner, was the only person who could reasonably buy it. Sam’s reply was that he had no need for the building, nor the small plot of land it stood on, so why would he purchase something that would only increase his taxes?

This dragged on for two or three years, with the lawyers making periodic advances to Sam, and Sam remaining adamant.

Finally in 1970, they said “Look, make us an offer, any offer; we’ve got to settle this estate.� Sam, more as a favor to the lawyer (who happened to be a friend of his), finally offered $1,500, which was immediately accepted before he could change his mind.

Now Sam was the proud owner of a building that was the same age as the town in which it was located, a fact that did not escape the attention of the Colebrook assessor, who duly adjusted Sam’s taxes.

Sam approached the Colebrook Historical Society, headed up at the time by Nancy Blum, who also happened to own the property across Sandy Brook Road, and said that he would donate the building to the society if it would move it off his property.

This was agreed upon, but agreeing to do something and actually getting results is not necessarily the same thing, and the situation dragged on for several months until Sam got another tax bill. At this juncture something was said to the effect that if the building was not removed from his property, he was going to tear it down. Society members replied, “Oh, you can’t do that!� to which Sam retorted, “Watch me!�

You might say that the fire was not only prepared, it was about to be lighted, and an emergency appeal for funds was begun with Nancy Blum announcing that she would deed the adjacent corner to the Colebrook Historical Society for the relocation effort.

The fundraising campaign was successful and the building was jacked up, the foundation stones were removed and reassembled in exactly the same order across the road, professional riggers were employed to make the move, and in March 1971, the old Rock Schoolhouse began the latest chapter in its long history.

The students of the third grade enjoyed what every class agrees is one of the brightest highlights of the school year when they relived a day at school in the mid-1800s.

Schools such as this, as well as the corresponding books and maps, liberally mixed with supporting efforts by dedicated members of the community, make for a powerful learning tool that money alone cannot buy.

Our guarantee is that next year Rock School Day will be every bit as enjoyable as this year (maybe better!).

Bob Grigg is the town historian in Colebrook.

Latest News

Living art takes center stage in the Berkshires

Contemporary chamber musicians, HUB, performing at The Clark.

D.H. Callahan

Northwestern Massachusetts may sometimes feel remote, but last weekend it felt like the center of the contemporary art world.

Within 15 miles of each other, MASS MoCA in North Adams and the Clark Art Institute in Williamstown showcased not only their renowned historic collections, but an impressive range of living artists pushing boundaries in technology, identity and sound.

Keep ReadingShow less
Persistently amplifying women’s voices

Francesca Donner, founder and editor of The Persistent. Subscribe at thepersistent.com.

Aly Morrissey

Francesca Donner pours a cup of tea in the cozy library of Troutbeck’s Manor House in Amenia, likely a habit she picked up during her formative years in the United Kingdom. Flanked by old books and a roaring fire, Donner feels at home in the quiet room, where she spends much of her time working as founder, editor and CEO of The Persistent, a journalism platform created to amplify women’s voices.

Although her parents are American and she spent her earliest years in New York City and Litchfield County — even attending Washington Montessori School as a preschooler — Donner moved to England at around five years old and completed most of her education there. Her accent still bears the imprint of what she describes as a traditional English schooling.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jarrett Porter on the enduring power of Schubert’s ‘Winterreise’
Baritone Jarrett Porter to perform Schubert’s “Winterreise”
Tim Gersten

On March 7, Berkshire Opera Festival will bring “Winterreise” to Studio E at Tanglewood’s Linde Center for Music and Learning, with baritone Jarrett Porter and BOF Artistic Director and pianist Brian Garman performing Franz Schubert’s haunting 24-song setting of poems by Wilhelm Müller.

A rejected lover. A frozen landscape. A mind unraveling in real time. Nearly 200 years after its premiere, “Winterreise” remains unnervingly current in its psychological portrait of isolation, heartbreak and existential drift.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

A grand finale for Crescendo’s 22nd season

Christine Gevert, artistic director, brings together international and local musicians for a season of rare works.

Stephen Potter

Crescendo, the Lakeville-based nonprofit specializing in early and rarely performed classical music, will close its 22nd season with a slate of spring concerts featuring international performers, local musicians and works by pioneering composers from the Baroque era to the 20th century.

Christine Gevert, the organization’s artistic director, has gathered international vocal and instrumental talent, blending it with local voices to provide Berkshire audiences with rare musical treats.

Keep ReadingShow less

Leopold Week honors land and legacy

Leopold Week honors land and legacy

Aldo Leopold in 1942, seated at his desk examining a gray partridge specimen.

Robert C. Oetking

In his 1949 seminal work, “A Sand County Almanac,” Aldo Leopold, regarded by many conservationists as the father of wildlife ecology and modern conservation, wrote, “There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” Leopold was a forester, philosopher, conservationist, educator, writer and outdoor enthusiast.

Originally published by Oxford University Press, “A Sand County Almanac” has sold 2 million copies and been translated into 15 languages. On Sunday, March 8, from 3 to 5 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Norfolk Library, the public is invited to a community reading of selections from the book followed by a moderated discussion with Steve Dunsky, director of “Green Fire,” an Emmy Award-winning documentary film exploring the origins of Leopold’s “land ethic.” Similar reading events take place each year across the country during “Leopold Week” in early March. Planning for this Litchfield County reading began when the Norfolk Library received a grant from the Aldo Leopold Foundation, which provided copies of “A Sand County Almanac” to distribute during the event.

Keep ReadingShow less

Erica Child Prud’homme

Erica Child Prud’homme

WEST CORNWALL — Erica Child Prud’homme died peacefully in her sleep on Jan. 9, 2026, at home in West Cornwall, Connecticut, at 93.

Erica was born on April 27, 1932, in Doylestown, Pennsylvania, the eldest of three children of Charles and Fredericka Child. With her siblings Rachel and Jonathan, Erica was raised in Lumberville, a town in the creative enclave of Bucks County where she began to sketch and paint as a child.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.