BOE fills assistant superintendent appointment, only to rescind it?

WEBUTUCK — The Webutuck Central School District’s Board of Education returned from executive session at its April 20 meeting having created an assistant superintendent position for the district and appointing James Gratto to fill that seat.

However, in a somewhat confusing turn of events, the following Monday, board President Dale Culver said the board would “most likely rescind the appointment� at the next board meeting.

The creation of the position will stand, Culver explained, but he added that “the board may have gotten a little ahead of ourselves timeline-wise� in appointing Gratto at the April 20 meeting.

Gratto was one of the five finalists for the position of superintendent, which Steven Schoonmaker will fill starting July 1, the beginning of the 2010-11 school year.

Culver said the decision would be reversed because the current interim superintendent, Lee Bordick, is not behind the decision.

Bordick, reached earlier this week for comment, explained that he and the administration had presented a budget to the board that was adopted on April 12. Any additions to that budget, including the creation of a position and hiring someone to fill that position, were never brought to the table.

A school district’s superintendent is legally required to recommend the hiring of staff before a board of education can vote to fill a position. Bordick said that given a budget was already presented and adopted by the board, which includes reductions to 22 staff positions ranging from cutting hours to outright elimination, he could not recommend the change at the April 20 meeting and he will not be prepared to do so in the future.

“It’s not a question of need,� Bordick explained, “it’s a question of how we establish the budgetary process. There is a significant impact in the form of staff reductions. For that reason, basically we gave [the board] a representation of what the budget was, and what our needs were. [An assistant superintendent] just never was a part of the conversation.�

Culver said the board has been focused on deficiencies in Webutuck’s academic program, and he cited a “very frank and very thorough� discussion in executive session at the July 1, 2009, board meeting about “where the district was and where we were headed.�

Culver said that recently Webutuck was shown to have the largest decline in standardized test scores in Dutchess County.

“I can’t believe, in good conscience, that it’s all going to come together under the current configuration of administration,� he said.

Culver also said that the reductions in 22 positions proposed in the 2010-11 budget are numbers driven by declining student enrollment numbers and efficiency and not strictly for budgetary reasons, in response to any claims that the move was contradictory to the climate of cutting back on costs.

“We as a board see a need to get curriculum and instruction to the forefront,� he said. “This gives an opportunity to the new superintendent to push things forward. Change is never easy. Reconfiguration is never easy. But there are a number of things that don’t meet the standards we’ve set [at Webutuck] and [Schoonmaker] believes there is a deep need to focus on that.�

“As far as [test] scores and results, Webutuck does fairly well but we can improve,� Bordick said. “We need better coordination in the curriculum for K-12. Whether that takes the form of an assistant superintendent or takes the form of some full-time director of curriculum or some staff members pick up the responsibilities, the need is there. But how we fund it and how we staff it can be done in a myriad of ways.�

Culver said that he didn’t have an estimate as to when the board would readdress the issue, or whether Gratto would be the only candidate considered for the job when it was looked at again.

There has been a confusion in communication between the board and administration, Culver acknowledged, as far as what Webutuck should be doing now and what Webutuck should be doing for next year.

“I can see his point relative to ‘Let’s work on that next year,’� he said in response to the superintendent’s stance on the hiring. “But the board has said that there will be further reconfiguration, and this situation is part of the reconfiguration that the board has been very open about.�

The next Board of Education meeting is scheduled for May 3 at 7:30 p.m. at the high school library.

Latest News

Kent girls score late win against Millbrook
Pip Davies controls the puck for Kent School.
Photo by Lans Christensen

KENT Kent School's girls hockey team defeated Millbrook School 4-3 in a Valentine's Day showdown on the ice Saturday, Feb. 14.

There was no love lost between these Founders League schools situated on opposite sides of the Connecticut/New York border. Both teams had similar win-loss records, and both were eager to add to the "win" column.

Keep ReadingShow less
In remembrance:
Tim Prentice and the art of making the wind visible
In remembrance: Tim Prentice and the art of making the wind visible
In remembrance: Tim Prentice and the art of making the wind visible

There are artists who make objects, and then there are artists who alter the way we move through the world. Tim Prentice belonged to the latter. The kinetic sculptor, architect and longtime Cornwall resident died in November 2025 at age 95, leaving a legacy of what he called “toys for the wind,” work that did not simply occupy space but activated it, inviting viewers to slow down, look longer and feel more deeply the invisible forces that shape daily life.

Prentice received a master’s degree from the Yale School of Art and Architecture in 1960, where he studied with German-born American artist and educator Josef Albers, taking his course once as an undergraduate and again in graduate school.In “The Air Made Visible,” a 2024 short film by the Vision & Art Project produced by the American Macular Degeneration Fund, a nonprofit organization that documents artists working with vision loss, Prentice spoke of his admiration for Albers’ discipline and his ability to strip away everything but color. He recalled thinking, “If I could do that same thing with motion, I’d have a chance of finding a new form.”

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

Laurie Fendrich and Peter Plagens:
A shared 
life in art 
and love

Laurie Fendrich and Peter Plagens at home in front of one of Plagens’s paintings.

Natalia Zukerman
He taught me jazz, I taught him Mozart.
Laurie Fendrich

For more than four decades, artists Laurie Fendrich and Peter Plagens have built a life together sustained by a shared devotion to painting, writing, teaching, looking, and endless talking about art, about culture, about the world. Their story began in a critique room.

“I came to the Art Institute of Chicago as a visiting instructor doing critiques when Laurie was an MFA candidate,” Plagens recalled.

Keep ReadingShow less
Strategic partnership unites design, architecture and construction

Hyalite Builders is leading the structural rehabilitation of The Stissing Center in Pine Plains.

Provided

For homeowners overwhelmed by juggling designers, architects and contractors, a new Salisbury-based collaboration is offering a one-team approach from concept to construction. Casa Marcelo Interior Design Studio, based in Salisbury, has joined forces with Charles Matz Architect, led by Charles Matz, AIA RIBA, and Hyalite Builders, led by Matt Soleau. The alliance introduces an integrated design-build model that aims to streamline the sometimes-fragmented process of home renovation and new construction.

“The whole thing is based on integrated services,” said Marcelo, founder of Casa Marcelo. “Normally when clients come to us, they are coming to us for design. But there’s also some architecture and construction that needs to happen eventually. So, I thought, why don’t we just partner with people that we know we can work well with together?”

Keep ReadingShow less
‘The Dark’ turns midwinter into a weeklong arts celebration

Autumn Knight will perform as part of PS21’s “The Dark.”

Provided

This February, PS21: Center for Contemporary Performance in Chatham, New York, will transform the depths of midwinter into a radiant week of cutting-edge art, music, dance, theater and performance with its inaugural winter festival, The Dark. Running Feb. 16–22, the ambitious festival features more than 60 international artists and over 80 performances, making it one of the most expansive cultural events in the region.

Curated to explore winter as a season of extremes — community and solitude, fire and ice, darkness and light — The Dark will take place not only at PS21’s sprawling campus in Chatham, but in theaters, restaurants, libraries, saunas and outdoor spaces across Columbia County. Attendees can warm up between performances with complimentary sauna sessions, glide across a seasonal ice-skating rink or gather around nightly bonfires, making the festival as much a social winter experience as an artistic one.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.