Permanent pit stop for go-cart proposal?

NORTH EAST — The bid to establish a go-cart track in North East’s Boulevard District has run out of gas. The issue was “permanently tabled� by the Town Board at its business meeting July 8.

“As we heard from the Town Board members, there seemed to be a great deal of reluctance as far as wanting to proceed further at this point in time,� town Supervisor Dave Sherman said the day after the board’s vote. “There’s mixed emotions. But rather than having the matter come back to the table every month and having old business keep returning to our agenda from one month to the next, and have people interested in the issue who don’t want to attend every board meeting to see if it will possibly come up, [we tabled it].�

The application ignited opposition from residents and business owners concerned about environmental, noise and light pollution, as well as loss of rural character and property values (both residential and commercial) — all of which encouraged 182 people to sign their names to a petition that was submitted to the Town Board. The petition urged the board “not to support a zoning change or special use permit to include go-carts anywhere on Route 44.�

Resident Jim Murphy, who presented the petition to the board at its meeting on June 10, read a letter at that time that accompanied it.

“The go-cart idea has been proposed a number of times in the past,� he said. “Every town body that has ever considered the go-cart idea, including the Planning Board, the Town Board and the Zoning Review Committee, has rejected it, more than once.�

The steady pressure from the public, along with the growing absence of the applicant, both likely played a part in the board’s decision. Sherman said the applicant for the zoning change that would have to occur in order to make the go-cart track a possibility in the Boulevard District “should demonstrate some further interest in this.� That applicant is real estate developer and local attorney, Robert Trotta, who has brought the go-cart proposal before the town numerous times during the past decade.

Trotta appeared April 29, before the Town Board, seeking approval for the project in the BD-3 zone, the BD-6 zone or both. Ideally he wanted the OK for the track to be built in the BD-3 zone, next to his existing driving range operation. Those zones are all in the Boulevard District, which stretches along Route 44 on the way out of town toward the Connecticut border.

The board discussed the proposal, and the petition, at its meeting last month, but tabled the issue as town Councilman Dave McGhee was absent. Its members said they wanted to discuss the issue with a full board present. It had that opportunity last week.

Board talk

“I guess the board members need to decide what they want to do with the proposal they have from Mr. Trotta and Mr. Brod [Trotta’s planner],� Sherman said at the meeting.

“I’m not going to just turn a blind eye on the man,� town Councilman Carl Stahovec said, reiterating what he had said the month before. “Not until he gets a fair shake.�

“I didn’t realize that many people were opposed to it, with good reason,� town Councilman Tim Shaffer said. “At this point I’m opposed to it.�

“If the board is still undecided at this point we can table it until some other time,� Sherman said.

“I’m surprised we haven’t heard anything from the applicant,� Stahovec said.

“He [Trotta] said if another business came in he would get rid of it right away,� Shaffer said, referring to a past comment. “So how important is it?�

“We’ve been going back and forth,� McGhee said. “We have other boards in town and I would like to see them figure out the zoning thing .... We have to set up the rules and decide what we want to do.�

“I know everybody is upset about noise and pollution. We’re going to have a transfer station right next door [in Connecticut] that we have no control over,� town Councilman Steve Merwin said.

At that point McGhee made a motion to extend the application, which Shaffer seconded; the motion did not go any further.

“We should do something, it’s been going on for years,� Sherman said. “I don’t see much appetite for going on with this. I will say off-hand that it will be appropriate for us to table this until the applicant comes back before the board and public and convinces us that it would be something worthwhile. I think we should table it and see if there’s any further interest by the applicant.�

Stahovec made a motion, which did not get seconded.

Attorney to the Town Warren Replansky spoke up about his unease.

“I’ve always been concerned about changing zoning in this manner,� he said. “I think the time has come to reactivate the Zoning Review Committee. It would be very helpful if that committee could look at the proposal and the proposed zoning and the boulevard zoning and get back to the Town Board with recommendations, and then it becomes a planning process if you decide to change the zoning. It’s a more sound way of proceeding and you have some real meaningful input on which you could base your decision.�

Stahovec then made his motion again, this time to “table the go-cart rezoning request permanently.�

The board voted unanimously in favor of the motion.

Sherman defined that motion the following day.

“When we say ‘permanently,’ it means we’re not going to bring it up ourselves until outside stimulus for this purpose has an outside request from the applicant to discuss this further,� he said. “So it removes the item off the table.�

Resident and petitioner Ellen Adler said she could not be more pleased with the board’s action.

“I think it’s great news and I’m especially pleased that it was unanimous,� she said. “I think it was an example of town government at its best — they really listened to neighbors and residents and I think it was really a great decision. I think a lot of people are going to be very happy when they read about it.�

Latest News

Kent girls score late win against Millbrook
Pip Davies controls the puck for Kent School.
Photo by Lans Christensen

KENT Kent School's girls hockey team defeated Millbrook School 4-3 in a Valentine's Day showdown on the ice Saturday, Feb. 14.

There was no love lost between these Founders League schools situated on opposite sides of the Connecticut/New York border. Both teams had similar win-loss records, and both were eager to add to the "win" column.

Keep ReadingShow less
In remembrance:
Tim Prentice and the art of making the wind visible
In remembrance: Tim Prentice and the art of making the wind visible
In remembrance: Tim Prentice and the art of making the wind visible

There are artists who make objects, and then there are artists who alter the way we move through the world. Tim Prentice belonged to the latter. The kinetic sculptor, architect and longtime Cornwall resident died in November 2025 at age 95, leaving a legacy of what he called “toys for the wind,” work that did not simply occupy space but activated it, inviting viewers to slow down, look longer and feel more deeply the invisible forces that shape daily life.

Prentice received a master’s degree from the Yale School of Art and Architecture in 1960, where he studied with German-born American artist and educator Josef Albers, taking his course once as an undergraduate and again in graduate school.In “The Air Made Visible,” a 2024 short film by the Vision & Art Project produced by the American Macular Degeneration Fund, a nonprofit organization that documents artists working with vision loss, Prentice spoke of his admiration for Albers’ discipline and his ability to strip away everything but color. He recalled thinking, “If I could do that same thing with motion, I’d have a chance of finding a new form.”

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

Laurie Fendrich and Peter Plagens:
A shared 
life in art 
and love

Laurie Fendrich and Peter Plagens at home in front of one of Plagens’s paintings.

Natalia Zukerman
He taught me jazz, I taught him Mozart.
Laurie Fendrich

For more than four decades, artists Laurie Fendrich and Peter Plagens have built a life together sustained by a shared devotion to painting, writing, teaching, looking, and endless talking about art, about culture, about the world. Their story began in a critique room.

“I came to the Art Institute of Chicago as a visiting instructor doing critiques when Laurie was an MFA candidate,” Plagens recalled.

Keep ReadingShow less
Strategic partnership unites design, architecture and construction

Hyalite Builders is leading the structural rehabilitation of The Stissing Center in Pine Plains.

Provided

For homeowners overwhelmed by juggling designers, architects and contractors, a new Salisbury-based collaboration is offering a one-team approach from concept to construction. Casa Marcelo Interior Design Studio, based in Salisbury, has joined forces with Charles Matz Architect, led by Charles Matz, AIA RIBA, and Hyalite Builders, led by Matt Soleau. The alliance introduces an integrated design-build model that aims to streamline the sometimes-fragmented process of home renovation and new construction.

“The whole thing is based on integrated services,” said Marcelo, founder of Casa Marcelo. “Normally when clients come to us, they are coming to us for design. But there’s also some architecture and construction that needs to happen eventually. So, I thought, why don’t we just partner with people that we know we can work well with together?”

Keep ReadingShow less
‘The Dark’ turns midwinter into a weeklong arts celebration

Autumn Knight will perform as part of PS21’s “The Dark.”

Provided

This February, PS21: Center for Contemporary Performance in Chatham, New York, will transform the depths of midwinter into a radiant week of cutting-edge art, music, dance, theater and performance with its inaugural winter festival, The Dark. Running Feb. 16–22, the ambitious festival features more than 60 international artists and over 80 performances, making it one of the most expansive cultural events in the region.

Curated to explore winter as a season of extremes — community and solitude, fire and ice, darkness and light — The Dark will take place not only at PS21’s sprawling campus in Chatham, but in theaters, restaurants, libraries, saunas and outdoor spaces across Columbia County. Attendees can warm up between performances with complimentary sauna sessions, glide across a seasonal ice-skating rink or gather around nightly bonfires, making the festival as much a social winter experience as an artistic one.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.