Thank you!
Your support is sustaining the future of local news in our communities.

Selectman claims state police not honest about Troop B plans

By Patrick L. SullivanSALISBURY — At a meeting of the Salisbury Board of Selectmen on Jan. 5, new board member (and former Connecticut state trooper) Mark Lauretano raised concerns that the state police plan to consolidate dispatch duties at Troop L (the State Police barracks in Litchfield) is just the initial step in a plan to close Troop B in North Canaan — a move that he said would have highly negative effects on the 13 towns served by Troop B.The state police have denied that they have any such plans. North Canaan First Selectman Douglas Humes reported to his own board last week that he had heard of Lauretano’s concerns and had sent an email to the state police. Humes read an emailed reply sent that day (Jan. 3) from Major Brian Meraviglia, commander of the state police Western District headquarters. The answer was that the only slated change is to move communications and dispatch to Troop L in Litchfield, as presented in a regionwide meeting last August. Meraviglia said there are no plans to close Troop B “now or in the future.”Lauretano said his sources in the state police had informed him that the plan is to close the barracks, despite what officials have said publicly to the contrary.The selectman said he had written to Gov. Dannel P. Malloy on the matter, and asked state Sen. Andrew Roraback (R-30) to investigate. He said he also plans to testify at a hearing in Hartford later this month.Salisbury First Selectman Curtis Rand responded to Lauretano’s concerns by saying that State Police Commander Col. Danny Stebbins had told a meeting of some 22 first selectmen and state representatives that Troop B would not be closed and that the dispatching issue was a question of efficiency.“To me it would be stunning if they were lying. If it is a lie there will be hell to pay,” Rand said.Salisbury Selectman Jim Dresser said to Lauretano, “It’s also impossible to prove a negative.” He said he hopes that, when Troop B isn’t closed down after all, that Lauretano will not take credit for saving it.Dresser also said that Lauretano, when testifying before the Legislature, should identify himself as a private citizen and not as a selectman, representing the board. “You and I have no authority other than actions which are delegated.”One person in the audience at the Salisbury meeting asked why Lauretano should identify himself as a private citizen and not as a selectman when testifying in Hartford. Dresser said, “I’m not suggesting he not testify, but we don’t speak on behalf of the Board of Selectmen unless specifically authorized.”During public comments at the end of the meeting, one person asked what she should do about the Troop B issue. Lauretano suggested writing to state Rep. Roberta Willis (D-64) and Roraback as a start. Karen Bartomioli contributed to this story.

Latest News

Falls Village targets firehouse sale to offset proposed budget cuts
Falls Village Town Hall
File photo

FALLS VILLAGE —During its regular meeting Monday, May 11, the Falls Village Board of Selectmen asked the Board of Finance to allow the town to replenish $50,000 in capital reserve funding through the future sale of the former firehouse at 35 Railroad St.

The request came after a Board of Finance vote on April 27 that directed the selectmen to cut $100,000 from the proposed 2026-27 budget plan.

Keep ReadingShow less
Bunny Williams’ Manor House Garden Tour

A view of Bunny Williams’ garden.

Christine Bates

FALLS VILLAGE – In addition to the annual plant sale at Lime Rock Park, Trade Secrets weekend is known for its private garden tours, attracting design and garden enthusiasts from across the region. This year, tours were offered in Connecticut and New York.

Acclaimed designer and author Bunny Williams — who founded Trade Secrets more than twenty-five years ago as a way to support Project SAGE — opened her garden in Falls Village for two days over the weekend. The coveted tickets to step inside Williams’ expansive property sold out as soon as they were posted. The interest warranted an additional Sunday tour, with an estimated 900 total visitors between Saturday and Sunday.

Keep ReadingShow less

Fishing derby reels in younger set

Fishing derby reels in younger set

A young angler finds some shade as she casts into the pond at the Northwest Connecticut Rod and Gun Club May 17.

John Coston

NORTH CANAAN – The sun beamed down on more than three dozen young anglers on Sunday, May 17, at the Northwest Connecticut Rod and Gun Club’s annual junior fishing derby.

Bicycles lined up as prizes for winners in various age categories, while a table overflowed with smaller prizes for everyone who came out to fish.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

Salisbury home prices decline while sales activity rises

235 Main St., an apartment building on .93 acres next to Salisbury Central School that was built around 1900, sold for $745,300 in April 2026 in a private transaction.

Christine Bates

SALISBURY – The 12-month trailing median price for a single-family home in Salisbury, excluding condos, fell to $806,500 for the period ending April 30, 2026, down 28% from a year earlier.

The latest median was down from $1,127,000 for the 12 months ending April 30, 2025, and 10% below the $892,000 recorded for the comparable period ending April 30, 2024.

Keep ReadingShow less
Falls Village
Report warns of ‘Imminent Failure’ of Cobble Rd. bridge

FALLS VILLAGE – The Falls Village Board of Selectmen discussed several infrastructure issues during its May 11 meeting, including a newly released state report on the now-closed Cobble Road bridge.

First Selectman David Barger said the state Department of Transportation recently delivered a 66-page report to Town Hall.

Keep ReadingShow less
Kent BOF sends $16.9 million budget to voters after public hearing
Kent Town Hall
Leila Hawken
May 29 vote would set mill rate at 17.34, an increase of 2.78%

KENT — The Kent Board of Finance has approved a proposed $16.9 million budget and sent it to voters for consideration at the town’s annual budget meeting on May 29, following a public hearing Friday, May 15.

If approved, the spending plan would set the fiscal year 2027 mill rate at 17.34, up 2.78% from the current rate of 16.87. For a property assessed at $350,000, the projected tax bill for fiscal year 2027 would be $6,069, up about $200.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.