Thank you!
Your support is sustaining the future of local news in our communities.

Community reflects on 150 years at Grace Church

MILLBROOK  —  The first meeting of the fall season of the Millbrook Historical Society was held at Grace Church on Thursday, Sept. 15. The audience, numbering close to 70 people, listened to a presentation by the Rev. Canon Elliott Lindsley, author of “Years of Grace: A History of Grace Church.”

Lindsley spoke of the history involving the well-known church and how it came to sit at the top of Franklin Avenue. It’s on the left of the main street, a large stone edifice with bright red doors. It is said the red doors signal it’s a place of sanctuary, a welcome respite for all.

Lindsley said there were three epic moments in the 150 years of church history. Grace Church followed the people — a community of faith-strong communicants — and the result is the Grace Church known today, the third Grace Church building. 

The early communities of the Hudson Valley were largely made up of immigrants from Scotland, England and Ireland. Steamboats, and later railroads, made travel easier than it had previously been. People traveled up the river with their household goods on steamboats. Some settled in Harts Village, where Merritt Bookstore now stands. At the time, it was the site of a mill, which among other things, provided jobs. And, of course, the immigrants needed homes, and then, a place to worship. 

The first Grace Church, at Harts Village, had the cornerstone laid in 1867. This was its first epic moment. However, an arsonist set fire to the building in 1870, when the church was just 3 years old. This was its second epic moment. There was an insurance policy on the edifice which paid $3,000. This, along with the generosity of John Wing and other parishioners, led to a new church being raised. It is still not known exactly who the arsonist was.

Meanwhile, other events were taking place. The railroad became a factor in the growth of what would become Millbrook. Businesses were springing up and houses were being built. It then made sense to move Grace Church, when it was rebuilt, to settle in Millbrook as well. So in 1871, Grace Church moved to Millbrook.

The second Grace Church was built quickly; it was a barn-like structure. Soon, many members of the church, including Wing, made plans for improvements. By 1899, the improvements actually became a plan for a new church. Wing donated a lot on Franklin Avenue for the site of the new building. The Wing family donated more land in 1961. By the time the new, third church was built, there were 60 families and 160 baptized members on hand to celebrate the new site and parish.

In 1902, the church was completed, at the cost of more than the $10,500 originally planned. The vestry had to borrow $3,000 to make the last payment. A new organ was purchased, for a choir of 120 people, and a new bell was purchased. The craftsman period of architecture was popular at that time, and so the church has exposed beams and brickwork, with almost no matching panels.

Shortly after, a new rectory was built. A children’s protectory had begun at Hope’s Farm; Grace Church supplied the children with medical and other secular programs. Miss Bennett’s School, later Bennett College, opened in 1908. About 70 students regularly attended services during the school year. In 1909, plans were discussed concerning a parish hall, and with contributions of $6,781 already collected, the parish hall became a reality. This was particularly important to the then Rector, Rev. Charles Gilbert, appointed in 1906.

While many Episcopal churches had become enamored for a time with the grandiose trappings and services of Catholic churches, Gilbert saw his role more as a social worker, doing good for all of the communicants of his church and of Millbrook residents in general. He was quoted as saying, when the parish house opened, “We would like to look upon this as marking the beginning of a new era of usefulness and service for the parish — a usefulness and service which may be of benefit to the whole community.”

And so the story of Grace Church — in all its incarnations — was discussed at last week’s meeting by Lindsley. As Grace Church sits on Franklin Avenue, with its bright red doors welcoming worshipers, what is most notable is the spirit of giving, not only to the church’s own communicants but to the entire population of Millbrook as well.

Latest News

August, one bass at a time

August, one bass at a time

This fish took a Wooly Bugger in basic black, with rubber legs. Always get the rubber legs.

Patrick L. Sullivan
Largemouth bass are not picky eaters. When engaged they usually dive and tug. Once in a while they leap. They are easily discouraged, however, and after a minute or two come meekly to the net.

Every August I shift gears and head to the ancestral HQ with no electricity, minimal plumbing and a warm-water lake chock-full of largemouth bass, not to mention smallmouth, perch, pickerel and panfish. The largemouth are the main attraction.

I used an antique rowboat for years. Then a canoe, which was awkward to manage solo, especially when the wind picked up.

Keep ReadingShow less

An outdoor festival for Broadway fans

An outdoor festival for Broadway fans
An outdoor festival for Broadway fans
An outdoor festival for Broadway fans

Broadway is going way off Broadway when it heads outdoors for The Festival at Hutton Brickyards in Kingston Aug. 14-16, transforming the Hudson River waterfront into a three-day celebration of show tunes, stars and sing-alongs. The inaugural event features an all-star lineup including Audra McDonald, Kelli O’Hara, Renée Elise Goldsberry, Brian Stokes Mitchell and dozens more, along with a 30th anniversary celebration of the musical “Rent” featuring original cast members.

Hutton Brickyards is a former 19th-century brickyard transformed into a historic riverfront hotel and event destination spanning 100 acres along the Hudson. Beyond the nightly concerts, festivalgoers can expect campfire sing-alongs, dance parties, master classes, costume contests and a marketplace highlighting Hudson Valley food, drinks and artisans.

Keep ReadingShow less
Crandell Theatre celebrates 100 years of film, community and Chatham history

The Crandell Theatre in 1948.

Provided
Originally built as an “atmospheric theater,” the Crandell was designed to transport audiences beyond the walls of the auditorium. Its sloped floor, proscenium arch, orchestra pit and balcony seating reflected the grandeur of early 20th-century movie palaces.

Crandell Theatre in Chatham has spent a century bringing stories to the big screen, and this December the historic theater will celebrate its 100th anniversary with a yearlong tribute to the films, filmmakers and community members who have helped keep it alive.

The celebration continues Sunday, Aug. 23, with a special screening of Martin Scorsese’s “The King of Comedy,” presented as part of the theater’s 100th Anniversary Series by Bill Kramer, CEO of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Kramer will introduce the 1982 film, a darkly comic exploration of celebrity, obsession and the pursuit of fame.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

Arts Connected fundraiser celebrates Northwest Connecticut’s creative community

MOMIX is one of the featured performers at this year’s Arts Connected fundraiser on Aug. 29.

Provided

The Northwest Connecticut Arts Council will celebrate the region’s vibrant arts community with Arts Connected 2026, its annual fundraising event, on Saturday, Aug. 29, from 5 to 8 p.m. at Buck’s Rock Camp in New Milford.

More than a fundraiser, Arts Connected is designed as a celebration of the artists, performers and organizations that make the Northwest Corner’s cultural landscape thrive. Guests can enjoy live music and performances, a curated gallery of artwork by regional artists, local food and drinks, and opportunities to connect with fellow arts supporters. Tickets include hors d’oeuvres, an open bar and all entertainment.

Keep ReadingShow less
At 90, artist Robert Cronin still finds new ways to paint
Falls Village Artist Robert Cronin describes his process, from drawing to painted canvas.
L. Tomaino
Once I get all the colors in, they change. Who knows? I might consider more radical colors and then bring it back a little.
— Robert Cronin

Renowned painter Robert Cronin of Falls Village celebrated his 90th birthday with an exhibition, “Robert Cronin: New Paintings,” at the Hunt Library in Falls Village which opened Aug. 8 and will be on view through Sept. 11.

Cronin paints most days in his home studio. He keeps his work fresh by trying new things and has had different phases of work, including figure paintings, paintings on paper, a modular, circle and enclosure series of paintings, as well as a tinplate sculpture series.

Keep ReadingShow less

All aboard the Litchfield County Clipper

All aboard the Litchfield County Clipper

The Litchfield County Clipper runs between Thomaston and Torrington.

Allison Gollenberg

Every Sunday until the end of August, passengers can ride back in time on the Litchfield County Clipper, a scenic train running between Thomaston and Torrington on the county’s only passenger rail line.

The train, operated by the Railroad Museum of New England and the Naugatuck Railroad, follows the Naugatuck River through Mattatuck State Forest and along the Thomaston Dam, making it the only railroad in the country that operates over the face of an active dam. For $26.50 passengers can ride all day, boarding or disembarking at any of the train’s three stops, which include two stops in Torrington and one in Thomaston.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.