Dugway Road: What’s in a Name?

Dugway Road: What’s in a Name?
Photo by Cynthia Walsh

Ever wonder why settlers chose to name a lake Wononscopomuc? Or where is the Academy on Academy Street? The Factory on Factory Street?

The mystery of why places around us are called what they are, can be solved by a visit to the upcoming “What’s in a Name” exhibit by the Salisbury Association. Members of the Association’s Historical Society Committee spent months delving into centuries of town records, newspaper accounts, early histories, journals and oral legends to discover the history behind names of local streets, natural sites and buildings we pass every day.

The exhibit will explore origin stories, both fact and fiction. Take, for instance, the name of our town. In 1803, a Congregational minister floated a rumor that the town had been named for a

“Mr. Salisbury” whose unsavory history included the murder of a servant girl. You’ll be glad to know this was discredited on the 100th anniversary of the first town meeting by a judge who confirmed that “Salisbury” was borrowed from a cathedral town of the same name in England.

In researching street names, exhibit organizers discovered that few street signs existed until well into the twentieth century. Around 1930, Bill Barnett, later longtime First Selectman, spearheaded a campaign to raise money to erect signs labeling streets. The original signs were wooden and eventually replaced by the green and white metal signs we see today. Such as the one for “The Lock Up” just east of Town Hall, which refers to a small brick jailhouse that was torn down in 1939, no longer needed once the state police barracks opened in Canaan.

Factory Street was the site of manufactories including a grist mill, a sawmill, trip hammer forge, the Salisbury Cutlery Handle Co. and the Washinee Woolen Company. Farnum Road was named for the town’s first postmaster Peter Farnum. The Wells family settled in Lakeville in the 1700s; the road named for them runs through the land they once farmed. A branch of that family also raised Morgan horses and built a quarter mile harness racing track on what later became Racetrack Road.

And what about Lake Wononscopomuc? The name is believed to have come from a Mohican term meaning rocks at the bend of the lake. The names for Twin Lakes are thought to be Mohican names, too. West Twin Lake is called Washinee which is Mohican for smiling water. East Twin Lake is Washining, laughing water.

The exhibit will run from July 25 to September 23 at the Academy Building in Salisbury on the corner of Main and Academy Streets. There’s an interesting story behind that name, too. The brick building was erected in 1833 when a committee of local citizens raised $1,250 to build a school. Tuition at Salisbury Academy was $3 per eleven-week term for English studies, $4 for per term for Classics. After the school ceased operations, the building served as a meeting house and then as a courthouse. The spiral stairs were installed to give the judge a quick exit from the courtroom. The building became home to the Salisbury Association in 1991.

 

Helen Klein Ross is a writer who lives in Lakeville. She is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Salisbury Association.

The views expressed here are not necessarily those of The Lakeville Journal and The Journal does not support or oppose candidates for public office.

Latest News

Robin Wall Kimmerer urges gratitude, reciprocity in talk at Cary Institute

Robin Wall Kimmerer inspired the audience with her grassroots initiative “Plant, Baby, Plant,” encouraging restoration, native planting and care for ecosystems.

Aly Morrissey

Robin Wall Kimmerer, the bestselling author of “Braiding Sweetgrass” and a member of the Citizen Potawatomi Nation, urged a sold-out audience at the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies on Friday, March 13, to rethink humanity’s relationship with the natural world through gratitude, reciprocity and responsibility.

Introduced by Cary Institute President Joshua Ginsberg, Kimmerer opened the evening by greeting the audience in Potawatomi, the native language of her ancestors, and grounding the talk in a practice of gratitude.

Keep ReadingShow less

Melissa Gamwell’s handmade touch

Melissa Gamwell’s handmade touch
Melissa Gamwell, hand lettering with precision and care.
Kevin Greenberg
"There is no better feeling than working through something with your own brain and your own hands." —Melissa Gamwell

In an age of automation, Melissa Gamwell is keeping the human hand alive.

The Cornwall, Connecticut-based calligrapher is practicing an art form that’s been under attack by machines for nearly 400 years, and people are noticing. For proof, look no further than the line leading to her candle-lit table at the Stissing House Craft Feast each winter. In her first year there, she scribed around 1,200 gift tags, cards, and hand drawn ornaments.

Keep ReadingShow less
Regional 7 students bring ‘The Addams Family’ to the stage

The cast of “The Addams Family” from Northwest Regional School District No. 7 with Principal Kelly Carroll from Ann Antolini Elementary School in New Hartford.

Monique Jaramillo

Nearly 50 students from across the region are helping bring the delightfully macabre world of “The Addams Family” to life in Northwestern Regional School District No. 7’s upcoming production. The student cast and crew, representing the towns of Barkhamsted, Colebrook, New Hartford and Norfolk, will stage the musical March 27 and 28 at 7 p.m., with a 2 p.m. matinee on March 29 in the school’s auditorium in Winsted.

Based on the iconic characters created by Charles Addams, the musical follows Wednesday Addams, who shocks her famously eccentric family by falling in love with a perfectly “normal” young man. When his parents come to dinner at the Addams’ mansion, two very different families collide, leading to an evening of secrets, surprises and unexpected revelations about love and belonging.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

‘Quilts of Many Colors’ opens at Hunt Library

Garth Kobel, Art Wall Chair, Mary Randolph, Frank Halden, Ruth Giumarro, Project Chair, Maria Bulson, Barbara Lobdell, Sherry Newman, Elizabeth Frey-Thomas, Donna Heinz around “The Green Man.”

Robin Roraback

In honor of National Quilt Day, a tradition established in 1991, Hunt Library’s second annual quilt show, “Quilts of Many Colors,” will open Saturday, March 21, with a reception from 5 to 7 p.m. The quilts, made by members of the Hunt Library Quilters, will be displayed through April 17. All quilts will be for sale, and a portion of each sale goes to the library.

At the center of the exhibit is a quilt the Hunt Library Quilters collaborated on called the “Quilt of Many Colors,” inspired by Dolly Parton’s song”Coat of Many Colors.” Each member of the Hunt Library Quilters made two to four 10-inch squares for the twin-size quilt, with Gail Allyn embroidering “The Green Man” for the center square. The Green Man, a symbol of rebirth, is also a symbol of the library, seen carved in stone at the library’s entrance. One hundred percent of the sale of this quilt benefits the library.

Keep ReadingShow less

New in at Kenise Barnes Fine Art

New in at Kenise Barnes Fine Art

New works on display at Kenise Barnes Fine Art in Kent

D.H. Callahan

Since 2018, Kenise Barnes Fine Art in Kent has been displaying an impressive rotation of works across a range of artists and mediums. On Saturday, March 14, art enthusiasts arrived to see a new exhibition at the gallery featuring a wide variety of new pieces.

Large-scale paintings by David Collins and Melanie Parke alongside small 3-by-3 inch oil-on-panel works by Sally Maca.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trailblazing divorce attorney Harriet Newman Cohen to speak at Norfolk Library

Harriet Newman Cohen

Provided

Harriet Newman Cohen weathered many storms in her five-decade-long journey to become one of the nation’s most celebrated divorce attorneys. Voted one of the top 100 attorneys in New York for many years, Cohen served as president of the New York Women’s Bar Association and has been a champion of divorce reform. She and her co-author, journalist David Feinberg, will give a book talk about her memoir, “Passion and Power: A Life in Three Worlds,” at the Norfolk Library on Sunday, March 22 at 2 p.m.

What began as a personal record of her life, intended for her family, grew into a memoir that journalist Carl Bernstein describes in his endorsement as “wise and riveting.” Born in 1932 in Providence, Rhode Island, to parents who immigrated in 1920 from Ukraine and Poland, Cohen traces the arc of her life and the challenges she faced entering a legal profession that was overwhelmingly male at the time, leading to her success as a maverick divorce attorney fighting for women’s rights and equity in the law. She received her Juris Doctor, cum laude, from Brooklyn Law School in 1974, one year after Roe v. Wade was decided. She is a founding partner of Cohen Stine Kapoor LLP in New York City, a family and matrimonial law firm she formed in 2021, at age 88, with her daughter Martha Cohen Stine and Ankit Kapoor.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.