Thank you!
Your support is sustaining the future of local news in our communities.

Current budget outlines 4 percent increase

PINE PLAINS — Despite some ongoing discussion over possible last-minute reductions, the Pine Plains Central School District Board of Education (BOE) is currently looking at passing a budget with about a $1 million increase from the year before and an estimated tax levy percent increase of about 4.5 percent.The official superintendent’s 2011-12 budget proposal, provided at the Wednesday, April 6, BOE meeting, didn’t vary too much from preliminary discussions during the past two months, staying with a budget-to-budget increase hovering just below 4 percent. Superintendent Linda Kaumeyer and other administrators have made several similar presentations during the past few months. As she acknowledged at the April 6 board meeting, the newest version of the budget had “a couple of adjustments that do not affect the bottom line.”This was the district’s first budget presentation since the state passed its budget on March 31. Previously, Pine Plains had been calculating its budget based on Gov. Cuomo’s proposal. His budget proposed cutting $221,509 more in various state aid to Pine Plains than the adopted budget did, Kaumeyer said at the meeting, which gives the district a little more breathing room than previously anticipated. State aid coming to Pine Plains during the 2011-12 year still decreased 3.72 percent from last year, a significant cut, but still only a fraction of the 16.75 percent that was cut the previous year.Out of the currently proposed $27,943,145 budget, more than 75 percent (approximately $21.5 million) is taken up by salaries and benefits. Salaries are anticipated to go up 3.2 percent next year while benefits will rise 6.05 percent. As BOE President Bruce Kimball pointed out, “The biggest increases are the ones we have zero control over.”The 4.61 percent estimated tax levy increase is assuming that the board chooses to offset taxes with $1 million from its appropriated fund balance, as it did last year.As required by law, Kaumeyer also presented the board and public with financial figures for a contingency budget. That budget, which the district would legally have to adopt if district taxpayers vote down the budget twice, is calculated according to the Consumer Price Index (CPI). This year, that would be a maximum budget-to-budget increase of 2.73 percent, or an estimated tax levy increase of 3.9 percent. Under a contingency budget there are several restrictions that would limit how the board spends its money, including a restriction on any equipment purchases for that year.In addition to the budget, voters will also be asked to vote on several other propositions, including the purchase of five school buses of various size and capacity for a total of $373,000 and permission for the board to create a five-year capital reserve fund to replace a similar fund expiring this year.Also discussed by the board and illustrated by Assistant Superintendent Michael Goldbeck was the impact of a potential 2 percent tax cap bill on school districts. The tax cap, which even if passed wouldn’t take effect until the 2012-13 school year, combined with the loss of Federal Education Jobs Funding ending that same year, could potentially force the board to make cuts of up to $1.2 million in its budget for that first year.Goldbeck pointed out that while one might initially think it would be smart to make more cuts now, to better prepare for a potential tax cap, as he illustrated with a series of calculations, making more reductions this year in preparation for years to come would not lessen the reductions needed after a potential tax cap.“If we cut more this year, it won’t change what we have to cut next year, basically,” Goldbeck said.“If you cut off your foot now, it means you’ll have to cut off your knee,” Kimball pointed out bluntly.At that point the board discussed other areas where several members felt reductions could be made, including several administrative positions (for more information on that discussion, see story on Page A1). At the end of discussions, it was still unresolved whether the majority of the board wanted to make additional cuts to bring the budget-to-budget increase (and tax levy) down; the board was divided and scheduled an additional meeting on Wednesday, April 13, to continue discussing possible options.The board will need to pass a budget for voter approval in May by its meeting scheduled for Tuesday, April 19, or at the very latest at a special meeting that could be scheduled for the following night.

Latest News

Voices from our Salisbury community about the housing we need for a healthy, economically vibrant future

Renee Wilcox

If you’ve ever wandered through Paley’s Farm Market, you probably know Renee Wilcox. For thirty years, she has been greeting you with unmistakable warmth—always ready with a smile. Renee grew up in Millerton, but it was in Salisbury that her family found something they’d never had before: a true sense of home. In 2003, she and her husband Bill were living in Millerton, but Bill—a volunteer with the Lakeville Hose Company—was already part of Salisbury life. When the Salisbury Housing Trust finished eight new homes on East Main Street (Dunham Drive), Renee and Bill were the first to sign on.

The story of those houses is really a story about the best parts of our community. Richard Dunham and his wife, Inge, along with the Housing Trust board, poured years of energy and hope into the project. Renee can’t help but light up when she talks about the people who helped her family settle in. Digby Brown came by to install appliances and bathroom cabinets; Barbara Niles spent hours painting; Carl Williams assembled bunk beds for the kids. Rick Cantele, at Salisbury Bank, helped them with their finances so they could qualify for a mortgage, while neighbors arrived at their door with fruit baskets and welcoming words.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trade Secrets: a glamorous garden event with a deeper mission

Heavy stone garden ornaments, a specialty of Judy Milne Antiques from Kingston, at Trade Secrets 2025.

Christine Bates

Tucked away on Porter Street in downtown Lakeville, Project SAGE is an unassuming building from a street view. But cross the threshold a week before Trade Secrets — one of the region’s biggest gardening events, long associated with Martha Stewart and glamorous plants of all varieties — and you’ll find a bustling world of employees and volunteers getting ready for the organization’s most important event of the year.

“It’s not usually like this,’ laughed Project SAGE director Kristen van Ginhoven. “But with Trade Secrets just around the corner, it’s definitely like this.”

Keep ReadingShow less
Two artists, two Hartford stages, one shared life

Caroline Kinsolving and Gary Capozzielo at home in Salisbury with their dogs, Petruchio and Beatrice

Provided
"He played his violin, I worked on my lines, we walked the dog, and suddenly we were circling each other perfectly."
Caroline Kinsolving

Actor Caroline Kinsolving and violinist Gary Capozziello enjoy their quiet life with their two dogs in Salisbury, yet are often pulled apart to perform on distant stages in far-flung cities. Currently, the planets have aligned, and both are working in Hartford, across Bushnell Park from one another. Bridgewater native Kinsolving is starring in “Circus Fire,” the current production of TheaterWorks Hartford, while Capozziello is a violinist and assistant concertmaster of the Hartford Symphony Orchestra. While Kinsolving hates being away from home, she feels the distance nourishes their relationship.

“We are guardians of each other’s confidence and self-esteem,” she said.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

Local filmmaker turns spotlight back on Hollywood’s Mermaid

Esther Williams in “Million Dollar Mermaid” (1952).

Provided

For decades, Esther Williams was one of Hollywood’s brightest stars, but the swimming sensation of the silver screen has largely faded from public memory — a disappearance that intrigued Millerton filmmaker Brian Gersten and inspired him to revisit her legacy.

As a millennial, Gersten grew up largely unaware of Williams’ influential career. His teen years in Chicago were spent with friends who obsessed over movies, spending hours at their local independent video store,and watching anything that caught their eye. Somehow, though, they never ventured into the glossy world of synchronized-swimming musicals of the 1940s and ‘50s.

Keep ReadingShow less
Summer exhibition opens at Wassaic Project

Nate King, “When I Was Younger And Now That I’m Older,” 2026, Digital projection, digital animation, photography.

photo courtesy Nate King

The Wassaic Project, the 8,000-square-foot, seven-story former grain elevator transformed into a vibrant arts space, opens its 2026 Summer Exhibition, “Because, now is the time of monsters,” on Saturday, May 16, from 3-6 p.m. at Maxon Mills, launching a season-long presentation featuring 39 artists working across installation, performance, video and sculpture.

The opening celebration will include an afternoon of exhibitions and live programming throughout the historic mill building and its surrounding spaces. Gallery and Art Nest hours run from 12-6 p.m., with special presentations scheduled throughout the day.

Keep ReadingShow less
Hotchkiss to host inaugural International Piano Competition
Murong Yang ’08, a founding supporter of the Hotchkiss International Music Competition, helped establish the program through the Yang and Hamabata families to support young musicians and artistic excellence.
Provided

The Hotchkiss School will launch a major new addition to its arts programming with the inaugural Hotchkiss International Piano Competition, a three-day event taking place May 15–17 in Katherine M. Elfers Hall.

The competition will bring together young pianists ages 10 to 18 from around the world, with participants representing the United States, Thailand, Korea, China, Canada, and Azerbaijan. Performers will compete across multiple age divisions, culminating in final rounds that will be open to the public, offering audiences the opportunity to hear a wide range of emerging international talent in performance.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.