Spring into step and enjoy Millerton’s historic architecture

MILLERTON — After our seemingly interminable winter, it is wonderful to see the forsythia in bloom and leaves forming on the trees. To respond to the urge to get outside again, consider a walk through our historic village and look at the architecture of its buildings. 

As written in “Railroads Dutchess County, NY: 1848 - 1907,” by William P. McDermott,  “Railroads changed Dutchess County forever… Many of the county’s hamlets were affected by this new steam driven wooden and iron vehicle but none as remarkable as Millerton.” 

From the arrival of the first railroad in 1851 and two others soon thereafter, the village seemingly burst into existence.

While Millerton’s Main Street Historic District is thought of as a commercial one, some of those properties were originally built as residences and later converted. 

Perhaps the most prominent example is The Millerton Inn at 53 Main St. This elegant structure was originally built as a residence by merchant E. W. Simmons in 1854 in the Greek Revival-Style and then enlarged by banker Edward H. Thompson, who purchased it in 1887 and renovated it in the Queen Anne style we see today.  

Greek Revival homes were often symmetrical with columns or pilasters and a window in the pediment below the roof. Queen Anne houses were more ornate and asymmetrical with gables and elaborate porches and towers. 

For many years this house was the home and office of a physician and his family — first Arthur Hoag and then Michael Badeen. 

In 1983, Robert and Carol Sadlon purchased it and in a thoughtful restoration and conversion project transformed it into Simmons Way Village Inn.

Other residences have historically served as both a home and location of a business operated by the owner. An excellent example can be found at 54 Main St.  This Shingle Style house was built in the 1890s.  The original owners were George and Mary Kisselbrack. Mary was an accomplished milliner and dressmaker and part of the residence served as her shop. It was most recently the home of Manna Dew Café. 

Several buildings originally built as residences remain so. One of the earliest residences in the village was built by William Colver.  Colver, a carpenter who developed an active construction business, built a Greek Revival style residence for his family around 1850 at 59 Main St. 

Another residence of a similar style was built by blacksmith Lewis Hutchinson around 1855 at 9 John St. About a decade later, John Winchell built his residence at 60 Main St. It has been the home of the Valentine family for three generations.    

By the 1860s, Gothic Revival-style residences began to be built. They had pointed arches and decorative wooden trim. The Philo Cline house, circa-1890, at 76 Main St., is an example.  Cline was a wholesale meat dealer in the village. 

With the exception of the Colver, Hutchinson and Winchell houses, all of the buildings mentioned above are believed to have been constructed or renovated by the well-known design and construction firm of Beers & Trafford, whose offices and shop were located on South Center Street. 

Darwin Beers and William Trafford established their construction firm in 1885 and grew to be a prominent builder of residential and commercial structures in the region. Others still in existence and thought to be built by them can be found at 53 Main St.; 63 Main St.; 41 Barton St.; and 43 Barton St.

These 19th century works continue to inspire builders today.  The design of the Salisbury Bank and Trust Company at 87 Main St. was influenced by the village’s historic architecture including that of the Baptist Church across the street.  When Michael Smith and Bill Bartlett purchased 44 Main St., they restored its historic look, as did Leo Flood when he purchased and successfully recreated the original facade of 34-36 Main St.  

As you take your “architecture” walk, here are some other things to look for: How many of you see which have windows with a dual arched upper sash? I know of two: 24 and 28 Simmons St. How many did you find and what are their addresses?  

Here’s another question we’d like to know the answer to: Between 1908 and 1942, the 20th century mail order catalogue company Sears, Roebuck and Co. sold house kits, shipped largely by rail, which were then assembled on site. Do a Google search online for the many different models and then see if you can find any in Millerton. 

The North East Historical Society would like to document any that exist. If you see any, please send us the addresses at northeast.ny.historical@gmail.com.

In the meantime, enjoy the fresh air, enjoy the walk, enjoy the architecture!

Edward Downey is the president of the North East Historical Society and a practicing attorney in the village of Millerton.

Latest News

Busking in the Berkshires
Brent McCoy of Secret Circus Show at Berkshire Busk!
Roman Iwasiwka

While playing outside in the early post-pandemic days, Berkshire Busk! founder Eugene Carr had an epiphany: why not expand the idea of performing on the street (aka busking)into a full-fledged festival in Great Barrington?

As an entrepreneur and cellist, Carr envisioned a well-organized jamboree featuring regional talent, including musicians, acrobats, storytellers, fire-eaters, and more. He formed a team, connected with local businesses and the town of Great Barrington, and launched Berkshire Busk! in 2021. Since then, Berkshire Busk! has grown into a summer staple for Great Barrington.

Keep ReadingShow less
'Sylvia' brings heart, humor and one unforgettable dog to Sharon Playhouse stage
Jonathan Walker as “Greg” and Jen Cody as “Sylvia”in rehearsal at The Sharon Playhouse.
Aly Morrissey

What if the dog onstage was played by a person? That’s the delightful twist in A.R. Gurney’s “Sylvia,” opening at the Sharon Playhouse on Aug. 29. In this clever and heartfelt comedy, the title character — a stray pup who disrupts the lives of a married couple — is portrayed not in costume but by an actor who brings insight, charm, and chaos to the role.

Stepping into Sylvia’s paws is Jen Cody, who is returning to the Sharon Playhouse in a starring role for her third year in a row, ready to bring this spirited dog to life. She’s joined by Jonathan Walker as Greg, the middle-aged man smitten with his new four-legged friend, and Jennifer Van Dyck as Kate, his wife, whose patience and identity are tested by Sylvia’s sudden presence in their home.

Keep ReadingShow less
Labor Day weekend art, design and local finds

Paul Chaleff’s exhibit at Mad Rose Gallery in Millerton.

Provided

The unofficial end of summer is here, and while some of us may mourn the shortening days and cooler nights, the culturally-inclined denizens of the Litchfield Hills, Berkshires and Taconics have plenty to look forward to.

During Labor Day weekend, visit one of the offerings below, and maybe even take home a watercolor, rug, or locally-crafted wooden bowl to ready your home for the indoor season ahead.

Keep ReadingShow less